***** ******'s avatar'
***** ******1 month agoResignation Concerns

My company wants me on 'garden leave'. What should I do?

I've been working for a large tech company in KL for the past 5 years. Recently, I accepted a job offer from a competitor and submitted my resignation letter, giving a standard 1-month notice as per my contract. However, my current employer has just informed me that they want to put me on 'garden leave' for the entire notice period.

They explained that I'll still receive my full salary and benefits, but I'm not to come to the office or do any work. They've also asked me to return my laptop and work phone immediately.

Is garden leave legal in Malaysia? Should I be worried about any potential legal issues with my current or future employer?

Calvin Chong's avatar'
Calvin Chong1 month ago
Garden leave is legal in Malaysia and is a common practice in many companies. It is a way for employers to protect their interests by preventing employees from accessing sensitive information or working for a competitor during the notice period. As long as you are still receiving your full salary and benefits as stated in your contract, there should not be any legal issues with your current employer. However, it is important to review your employment contract and seek legal advice if you have any concerns. As for your future employer, they may not be happy that you are unable to start working immediately, but as long as you are not breaching any contractual obligations, you should be fine.