***** ******'s avatar'
***** ******2 months agoOther Career Advice

Malaysian working in Singapore - Is the salary bump worth the higher cost of living?

I've recently received a job offer in Singapore that's offering me a significant salary increase compared to my current job in KL, which is 4,000 SGD. On paper, it looks great, but I'm concerned about the higher cost of living in Singapore potentially eating up all the extra income.

I'm wondering if any Malaysians who've made the move to work in Singapore can share their financial experiences. After accounting for rent, food, transportation, and other daily expenses, did you find yourself actually saving more money than you did in Malaysia? Or does the higher salary mainly go towards covering the increased living costs?

Benson Ng's avatar'
Benson Ng2 months ago
It depends on individual circumstances and spending habits, but generally speaking, many Malaysians who work in Singapore find that the higher salary helps them save more money despite the higher cost of living. While expenses like rent, food, and transportation may be higher in Singapore, the increased salary often more than makes up for it. Additionally, Singapore offers better job opportunities and career growth prospects, which can further enhance one's overall financial situation. Ultimately, it's important to carefully consider your personal financial goals and lifestyle preferences before deciding whether the salary bump is worth the higher cost of living.