***** ******'s avatar'
***** ******1 month agoAbout Offer Letter

Can I decline a job offer when I'm supposed to start tomorrow?

I accepted a job offer two weeks ago and I'm scheduled to start tomorrow. However, I just received another offer from a company I prefer, with better pay and benefits. I'm seriously considering taking this new offer instead, but I'm worried about the ethical implications and potential consequences of backing out of the first job at the last minute. Is it okay to decline the original offer at this point? If so, how should I go about it? Will this burn bridges or damage my professional reputation? Has anyone been in a similar situation before?

Janice Lim's avatar'
Janice Lim1 month ago
Yes, it is okay to decline the original job offer at this point, but it is important to handle the situation professionally and respectfully. Contact the company as soon as possible to inform them of your decision and explain the circumstances. Apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and express your gratitude for the opportunity. It is possible that this may burn bridges or damage your professional reputation with the company, but it is better to be honest and up front rather than accepting a position you no longer wish to pursue. It is always best to act with integrity and communicate openly in these situations. It is recommended to follow up with the new offer and confirm your acceptance to avoid any further complications. It is also a good idea to reflect on how you can avoid similar situations in the future by carefully considering job offers before accepting them.